The ECPI Workforce Preparedness panel was created to allow their technology students to ask business leaders about the characteristics of great candidates for employment. Short and brief, these top 5 tips (+ 2 bonuses) are helpful for any prospective hires:
1) READ and UNDERSTAND the job description.
2) WRITE your own cover letter (yes, submit a cover letter) … authenticity will set you apart from the masses using sample cover letters found on Google.
3) RESEARCH the company as much as they will research you. VISIT the website and understand how the business earns revenue (if you don’t understand this, make this one of your questions to ask during the interview).
4) SHOW UP for your interview on time (on time = 10 minutes early), dressed professionally and prepared.
5) ASK the RIGHT questions so that you can understand and CLEARLY COMMUNICATE how you can add value to the position and company.
Finally, if you don’t have work experience … CREATE your own experiences. Find or start your own community of liked-minded professionals and execute your own projects.
Go the extra mile. No one sends personalized thank you cards any more … except great candidates.