Our student innovation program offers students real-world experience and an opportunity to discover how they impact their communities and ultimately the world. Our mission is to help students of technology make significant impact in their communities and to ensure better technology solutions and ultimately better results in the areas that matter.
For nearly 5 years, we have partnered with local colleges and universities to provide their students with opportunities for gaining real-world experience while making a difference.
How It Works
Participating students follows our 5-step innovation process which expands beyond coding to include customer discovery, critical thinking and analysis, brainstorming as well as building and executing ideas. Students work on community innovation teams which include professional developers, designers, and architects, as well as our community leaders and stakeholders.
The projects provide students with supplemental training (in some cases for college credit), community service experience and real-world experience in software & product development.
Websmith will partner with participating institutions in awarding scholarship funds to the student(s) that demonstrated excellence in their execution of their assigned project. Final products are judged on community alignment, design, usability, functionality and aesthetic design.
2016 Student Innovation Winners
- Team: Sid Williams, Tavaris Woodson, Abram Baslious, Kawand Jasper, Abdallah Mazahar (ECPI-Richmond)
- Websmith Group MVP Award Winner: Sid Williams
2015 Student Innovation Winners
- Team: James O’ Brien, Rowan Jones, and Phu Nguyen (ECPI-Richmond)
- Websmith Group MVP Award Winner: James O’ Brien
2014 Student Innovation Winners
- Team: Brian Schaaf, Sean Stramaglia, and Elaina Johnson (ECPI-Richmond)
- Websmith Group MVP Award Winner: Brian Schaaf