Digital Communications Intern (Spring 2017)
Websmith Studio is seeking a forward-thinking, smart, creative individual with excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, to assist us with a variety of digital, multimedia, and social media communications. The individual will be tasked with a variety of projects while playing a role in developing public relations, traditional media, digital marketing and social media growth for the organization.
This individual will be responsible for keeping our social media channels lively and current, and for developing ideas for social media content. This position will find creative ways to communicate the valuable mission of Websmith Studio by using existing media and/or photo, audio, video and graphics that you create.
This position will work to support and supplement the efforts of Websmith Studio’s executive and marketing team and you will be expected to collaborate closely as required.
- Work with clients to help develop original content for the organization’s media vehicles.
- Help assess and refine Websmith’s social media strategy.
- Attend events to capture content and multimedia for print and digital communications
- Help write/distribute press releases and conduct media outreach
- Utilize a number of social media tools including HootSuite & Buffer
- Exploring Websmith’s existing catalog & media collections for opportunities to repurpose content
- Creating simple graphics and editing media for posting on social media and the web
- Building photo galleries and photo collections for potential use on social media or other formats
- Organizing and tagging digital assets within existing media collections
- Monitor and track daily news for monthly reporting
- Experience using Twitter, Facebook, and related communication tools to reach targeted audiences
- Experience managing social media for an institution, organization or business
- Experience with social media management tools (Hootsuite, Buffer)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to create content in the appropriate voice for the organization
- Ability to work in conjunction with the Websmith Studio executive team, to request and receive guidance as needed
- Comfort working independently and staying organized
- Experience with writing and creating web stories, blog posts, social media, and multimedia content
- An interest in technology, innovation, and social entrepreneurship
- Undergraduate senior or graduate student (recommended, but not required)
- Currently pursuing a degree in Marketing, PR, Advertising, English Journalism, or recent graduate (within three months) in related field
- Comfort using the Adobe Creative Suite
- Creative and innovative thinker with the ability to understand the role of social media in the non-profit sector
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player, but can work independently
- Photography experience and familiarity with camera equipment preferred
- Graphic design skills recommended but not necessary
This Internship position is designed to introduce college seniors and/or recent graduates to the field of marketing and communications in the technology sector. Interns will gain exposure in media relations, graphic design, social media, development of internal and external communication strategies. Upon leaving the program, interns will foster a deeper understanding of the marketing and communications field and gain the experience of working in a professional and dynamic office environment.
This position requires 15-20 hours of work per week during the academic semesters for a doctoral student or 12-15 hours a week for graduate or undergraduate students. Hours are flexible, but you will be expected to attend certain events, as assigned.
To be considered for the 2017 Websmith Studio internship position, please submit the following by Wednesday, January 18, 2017.
- Cover letter
- Two writing samples
- One academic and work reference will be required